The Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed) announced earlier this month the availability of an updated Code of Ethics on Interactions with U.S. Health Care Professionals (AdvaMed Code). The updated AdvaMed Code becomes effective January 1, 2020. According to AdvaMed, the AdvaMed Code was updated to make examples current, enhance user-friendliness, and address the evolving nature of HCP interactions. Key updates include:
- Enhancements to the grants, sponsorships, and donations section;
- Additional detail regarding HCP meals and travel;
- Additional detail regarding fair market value payments for HCP services;
- Addressing consigned products and technical support by company representatives in the clinical setting; and
- A new section on jointly conducted education and marketing programs.
Medical device companies should carefully evaluate the updated AdvaMed Code and consider its potential impact. This may include potential changes to policies/procedures and training that should be implemented.